UPDATE: As of May 7, 2015, we are no longer accepting new applications for this position.
At Democracy Works, we believe that voting should fit the way we live. To that end, we’ve built TurboVote, a service that tracks all your elections. We’ll send you all the materials and information you need to get registered, stay registered, and cast your ballot in every election, from municipal to national–and we’ll even mail you forms with an addressed, stamped envelope for your local election office.
Streamlining democracy requires quite a bit of knowledge: what form you use to register to vote in Wyoming, to whom you mail your absentee ballot application in Maine, and whether there’s an election taking place in Kankakee, Illinois RIGHT NOW. (There is. Well, tomorrow.) We’re seeking a researcher to help us know as much as possible about elections, and use that knowledge to inform our software design, operations, and customer service for a quarter of a million voters across 50 states.
As researcher, you’ll:
- Learn the ins and outs of election rules across the country, and apply that big-picture understanding to the smallest details of how we serve individual voters.
- Track when every election is happening, using only your wits, charm, and deft Google Alert-wrangling skills (plus the occasional temp staffer).
- Solve any problem, answer any question, and ensure that even our most confused voter gets the information they need.
- Break things, hunt bugs, and help prioritize new features for our developer team.
- (Almost frighteningly) inquisitive
- Exceptionally organized, able to prioritize multiple projects simultaneously, and detail-oriented
- Empathetic and creative in your pursuit of customer service
- Capable of breaking down large projects into bite-sized chunks
- Up for tirelessly pursuing obscure election facts
You have experience:
- Managing complex projects and keeping track of details
- Providing customer support or hands-on services
- Writing clear, detailed reports on complicated (and often technical) topics
- Wrangling data (or dabbling in Python/Ruby/R), and eager to learn more
Salary is competitive and commensurate with education and experience. Democracy Works also offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance and vacation. We’re based in Brooklyn, NY and Denver, CO, and we hope you’ll want to join our Brooklyn team—though we’ll consider remote arrangements for the perfect candidate.
We are inspired by the idea of building an awesome and truly diverse team, so we strongly encourage applicants of all races, colors, political party associations, religions (or lack thereof), national origins, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, ages, abilities, and branches of military service. Feel free to contact email@example.com if you have any questions about our commitment to diversity or about general hiring practices.