Democracy Works - TurboVote Summer Associates - 2015
At Democracy Works, we believe voting should fit the way we live. To that end, we build technology for both voters and election administrators that simplifies the process and ensures that no voter should ever have to miss an election.
TurboVote, our first service, tracks an individual voter’s elections. We provide all the materials and information they need to get registered, stay registered, and cast a ballot in every election, from municipal to national—and we’ll even mail forms with an addressed, stamped envelope for the local election office. Ballot Scout helps local election administrators track absentee ballots as they travel through the mail, providing transparency in the vote-by-mail process and making it easier to follow up when things go awry. We also work with the Pew Charitable Trusts and Google to ensure that the Voting Information Project’s data is up-to-date and ready from one election to the next.
The Democracy Works partnerships team recruits schools, organizations, and local governments to promote voter engagement through the strategic use of our technology. We help work with over 200 colleges and universities and more than a dozen nonprofit organizations to institutionalize engagement opportunities into their established programs and processes. We are also building partnerships with county clerks across the county to launch the new Ballot Scout program in order to help create transparency in the absentee ballot process.
In 2015, our goals are to invest in these existing partners and find creative ways to help them build more comprehensive programs for voter engagement, and to conduct outreach to potential partners and set the stage for substantial program growth over the next two years. We will also be focused on establishing formal partnerships with local election offices across the country as we build a new program around the Ballot Scout tool.
About the associateship . . .
In order to accomplish our goals, we’re looking for a team of student leaders to join our organization this summer. Positions on the team will vary – we are looking for a multitalented group who can take on a diversity of tasks in the organization.
All associates will work together to conduct outreach to new potential partners and help support the work of existing college and universities partners using TurboVote. You will need to be:
- A problem-solver with a “yes, and” mentality
- At home in an agile, fast-paced work environment
- Dedicated to providing top-notch customer/constituent service
- An excellent oral and written communicator, with phone presence and presentation skills
- Adept at translating ideas for diverse audiences with varying skill sets and levels of expertise
- Organized, able to prioritize time effectively and multi-task
- A “people person”
- Experience in political organizing, leading an organization, or business development a plus, but not a requirement.
- Since this is a startup, our fellows were lot of hats. Special projects will also be available for fellows with specific skills. Please let us know in your application if you have experience in one of the following areas:
- Graphic design
- Writing and editing, media and communications
- CSS/ website development
- Salesforce or other CRM management
- Microsoft Excel
These are full-time PAID positions located in Brooklyn. The associate program runs from early June to mid-August. We will begin reviewing applications in the middle of March.
Prospective candidates should send resume and two references to Adrienne Lever at email@example.com with the subject line “Will intern for democracy” to begin the application process.